1 1/2 lbs. russet potatoes
1 onion, small, shredded
2 tablespoons bread crumbs, dry, plain
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 cup vegetable oil for frying
Sour Cream (optional)
Holiday Red Applesauce
1. Peel potatoes and immediately shred them (use a food processor or a hand grater). Place shredded potatoes and onion in colander in sink and press with paper towels to release excess liquid.
2. Transfer to large bowl and beat in egg, bread crumbs, salt, and baking powder.
3. Heat two large skillets over high heat 1 to 2 minutes. Divide oil between skillets. Heat oil until the handle of a wooden spoon sizzles when immersed.
4. To make a latke, drop about 1 Tbs. of the potato mixture in skillet and flatten lightly. Latkes should not touch in skillet. Fry 2 to 3 minutes per side, or until browned and cooked through.
5. Remove latkes with slotted spatula and place on paper towels to absorb excess oil. Serve immediately with Holiday Red Applesauce and/or sour cream. You can also freeze latkes and crisp them on a baking sheet in a 350 F oven at a later time.Makes 18 to 20 latkes: Nutrition per latke: 72 cal.; 1 g pro.; 4 g fat; 7 g carb.; 148 mg sod.; 12 mg chol.