Pork Chops and Cheese Quesadilla
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon plus .125 tsp. salt, divided
3 pork chops, .75_ to 1_ thick (about 8 oz. each), trimmed
1 large red bell pepper, cored and seeded
1 tablespoon peanut or vegetable oil, divided
1 small zucchini, quartered lengthwise and then cut into .25_ pieces
1 small yellow squash, quartered lengthwise and then cut into .25_ pieces
1 clove garlic, crushed in garlic press
2 green onions, thinly sliced
2 tablespoons chopped cilantro, divided
6 8" flour tortillas
1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
Oil and Salsa (optional)
Adults get plenty of flavor in their quesadilla, while plain and simple is the secret to the children's meals.
• Pork chop slices
• Cheese quesadilla with salsa
• Red bell pepper strips
• Avocado slices
• Seasoned pork chops
• Cheese quesadilla with sautéed vegetables
• Avocado slices
1. Heat oven to 350_F. Combine chili powder, cumin, and 1/4 tsp. salt. Rub two of the chops with spice mixture; set aside. Cut a couple of strips off red pepper for kids, then cut remaining pepper into cubes for vegetable mixture for adults.
2. In medium nonstick skillet heat 2 tsp. of the oil over medium-high heat. Add zucchini, yellow squash, cubed bell pepper, and garlic. Cook about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are tender. Stir in green onions, 1 Tbs. of the cilantro, the 1/8 tsp. salt and pepper; remove to small bowl and cover to keep warm.
3. In same skillet, heat remaining 1 tsp. oil over medium-high heat. Add pork chops and cook about 5 minutes per side until pork is cooked through.
4. Meanwhile, place three tortillas on ungreased baking sheet. Divide cheese among them; sprinkle the two for adults with remaining cilantro. Top all with second tortilla. Brush tops with a little oil. Bake 8 minutes, or until lightly browned and cheese is melted.
5. To serve, cut each tortilla into sixths. Serve each adult one cheese-and-cilantro quesadilla with vegetable topping and seasoned pork chop. For children, cut remaining pork chop into slices. Serve each child half a tortilla with salsa and pork chop slices, and strips of red bell pepper on the side.
Nutrition per child serving: v350 cal.; 27 g pro.; 17 g fat; 20 g carb.; 319 mg sod.; 74 mg chol.Nutrition per adult serving: 749 cal.; 55 g pro.; 37 g fat; 48 g carb.; 1,062 mg sod.; 149 mg chol