Meat Loaf Dinner
2 lbs ground beef
1/2 cup plain bread crumbs
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/2 cup shredded cheddar or Muenster cheese (4 oz.)
1 teaspoon Italian-herb seasoning
1 tablespoon butter or margarine
1/4 lb sliced mushrooms
1 garlic clove, chopped
1 cup fresh spinach leaves, packed, center stems removed
1 and 1/2 lbs all-purpose potatoes, peeled and cut into 1 1/2" chunks
2 cans (10 3/4 oz.) cream-of-mushroom soup
1. Heat oven to 375° F. In large bowl, gently mix ground beef, bread crumbs, egg, salt, and pepper. Separate a little less than half the mixture for the kids. For kids' meat loaf, form beef mixture into a rough rectangle. With long side facing you, sprinkle cheese down center. Enclose cheese by shaping beef around it, forming a loaf. Place to one side of a 9" x 13" baking pan. To remaining beef, mix in Italian-herb seasoning; set aside.
2. In large saucepan over medium-high heat, melt butter. Cook mushrooms 4 minutes, stirring, until tender. Add garlic and cook 1 minute. Stir in spinach and cook 2 minutes; let cool slightly. Mix mushroom-spinach mixture into seasoned beef. Form a loaf and place in baking dish with other meat loaf.
3. Scatter potatoes around meat. In medium bowl, whisk together mushroom soup and 2 cans of water; pour into baking pan. Bake, uncovered, 1 hour, until meat is cooked through and browned and potatoes are tender.
4. For kids: Serve slices of cheese-stuffed meat loaf and cut potatoes into slightly smaller chunks.
Nutrition per adult's serving: 733 cal.; 36 g pro.; 44 g fat; 48 g carb.; 1,455 mg sod.; 150 mg chol.
Nutrition per children's serving: 458 cal.; 24 g pro.; 29 g fat; 23 g carb.; 878 mg sod.; 105 mg chol.
• Meat loaf with spinach and mushrooms
• Roasted potatoes
• Mixed greens salad
• Cheese-stuffed meat loaf
• Roasted potatoes
• Iceberg wedge with dressing