1 tablespoon olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
1 large clove garlic, finely chopped
1 teaspoon dried oregano
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
3/4 lb ground veal
1 and 1/2 cups canned crushed tomatoes
1/2 cup dry white wine
1/2 lb medium-width egg noodles (.25 inch wide)
1 container (16 ounces) low-fat small-curd cottage cheese
1/2 cup plain low-fat yogurt
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1 package (10 ounces) tiny frozen peas, thawed
1/2 cup fresh basil, torn into small pieces
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
4 ounces sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded (about 1 cup)
1. Heat oven to 350 F. Lightly oil 13 x 9 x 2-inch casserole. Bring pot of lightly salted water to boiling.
2. Heat olive oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add onion; sauté until softened, about 5 minutes. Add garlic, oregano, salt and pepper. Crumble in veal; cook until veal is lightly browned, about 4 minutes.
3. Add crushed tomatoes and wine. Bring to boiling. Lower heat; simmer rapidly over medium heat until thickened, 10 to 12 minutes. Set meat sauce aside.
4. Add noodles to boiling water and stir. Cover; return to boiling; cook for 3 minutes. Drain; return to pot.
5. Add cottage cheese, yogurt and cornstarch to noodles in pot; stir to combine. Stir in peas, basil, salt and pepper.
6. Turn half the noodle mixture into prepared casserole. Spoon on half of meat sauce and spread evenly. Sprinkle with half the Cheddar cheese. Repeat layering.
7. Bake in 350 F oven for about 35 minutes or until browned on top and bubbly on sides. Let stand about 15 minutes before serving.Makes 12 servings: Nutrient Value Per Serving: 208 calories, 7 g fat (3 g saturated), 16 g protein, 21 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 566 mg sodium, 45 mg cholesterol.