Apple Puff Pie
1 1/2 lbs. Granny Smith apples (3 to 4 apples)
1 1/2 lbs. Golden Delicious apples (3 to 4 apples)
3 Tbs. unsalted butter
1/2 cup sugar
3/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp. grated lemon peel
1/2 (17.25 oz.) package frozen puff pastry, thawed
1 egg white
1 1/2 tsp. sugar
1. Peel, core, and cut apples in half. Cut each half into 6 wedges.
2. In a large skillet over medium heat, melt butter. Add apples; cook 15 minutes, stirring frequently, until apples are tender and lightly golden. Remove from heat.
3. Stir in sugar, cinnamon, and lemon peel. Transfer apple mixture to a 9" pie plate. Cool about 20 minutes.
4. Heat oven to 400 F. On a lightly floured work surface, roll out pastry to a 13" square. With a small, sharp knife, make five 2" cuts in center, in a starfish pattern.
5. Carefully lay pastry over apples, separating center cuts slightly to form an open star shape. With kitchen scissors, trim pastry to a 1 1/2" overhang. Fold overhang under, to form a double crust that extends 1/2" over edge of pie plate. Make 1/2" diagonal cuts in crust at 1" intervals. Brush surface with egg white; sprinkle with sugar.
6. Bake 20 to 25 minutes, until golden. Cool on wire rack.
Advance prep: Apple filling can be made up to 2 days ahead. Cool and transfer to a large plastic bag and refrigerate.
Cinnamon ice cream can be made 1 week ahead. To make cinnamon ice cream: mix 1 tsp. ground cinnamon and 1 quart softened vanilla ice cream. Refreeze, covered.Makes 10 servings: Nutrition per serving: 275 cal.; 2 g pro.; 13 g fat; 39 g carb.; 67 mg sod.; 9 mg chol.